I am so excited to have finished the dressers! This set was such a fun trip to the past. These were purchased from a women who had carried them around for more than 25 years, and she was not the original owner! Unfortunately the only Clues to what time, and where, are the marking on the back. Chest no. 18. How cool is that!? I love history, and I can only imagine how far these date back. My friend, Sarah is the proud owner of the pieces, and I was lucky enough to work on them!!
Since this was an old dresser, there were a lot of minor fixes that needed to be made. Two out of the three drawers were completely jammed, and had to be sanded down due to swelling of the wood. A chunk of the back corner in a drawer was missing, and some of the veneer was peeling off of the sides. Although minor, they took some time.
This was the first dresser! The top of the dressers were sanded and stained. I used Cece Caldwell chalk paint on the frame and drawers. (The original color was Silverhill fog. I mixed it with an off white to achieve the correct color of grey.) I used the “antiquing” method to age them, and finished them with the soft wax!
Always start from the top and work to the bottom! Sanding the tops was time consuming and required a lot of sand paper. I had to go through layers and layers of gunk and stain. Given the age of the dressers, I also had to even the tops and sand out scratches and Knicks. The edge of the dressers had not weathered like the tops, and therefore, needed more attention.
Once the tops were smooth, I did about three coats of stain (Jacobean)
Before I could paint the frame and drawers, I had to sand the drawers down to fit back onto the tracks. Years of heat had caused the wood to swell and bow outward. All three large drawers were jammed! It was also a very time consuming task.
I could FINALLY start painting!
Like I mentioned, the chalk paint I had purchased was mixed with a white paint and plaster of Paris before I applied it to the dresser! The original color was not what Sarah wanted, but it was very easy to fix!
And the end result of dresser number one!! I was very pleased with how it turned out. I kept all of the original hardware from the dresser, as it helped show its true age!
Same idea for this dresser. I had to replace the runners inside of the bottom drawer, and fix a wheel. The top was also detached from the frame, so that had to be nailed, glued and clamped.
Sanding the top to this one took just as much time as the first dresser. Covered in years of stain, gunk and had some very deep scratches.
I can’t wait to get started on my next set of dressers! They are from the early 1900’s!
Thanks for reading!